Monday, June 6, 2005

AFN, Europe

I recently came across this picture of the AFN Headquarters building, Frankfurt. I lived in this building for a little more than 2 years. As I remember, I painted a large portion of the interior of this facility. Painting and the Army seem to go hand in hand. Grunt or Broadcaster, it's all the same.

Why do I include this in the blog? Probably since I spent a large portion of my young life here. There are AFN Alumni groups and reunions. All of them are loaded with folks who have poor memories. As a radio station, AFN was mediocre at best. I can say this because I was on the air, hosting a network show, 5 days a week.

Our claim to fame was that we brought American top 40, rock and country music to the continent. Any enjoyment that I got from those years had nothing to do with the talentless zombies who called the shots at AFN.
American Forces Radio, Europe