Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day


Well, the Memorial Day weekend is over. With gas prices near $4/gallon and rising is shouldn't be a surprise that people stayed home in record numbers.
I watched some TV - John Wayne and Frank Sinatra in war movies! Did you know that, in real life, neither spent a day in uniform?! True.
One of the most honest and somber Memorial Day salutes, at least in my mind, is at the Indianapolis 500. Here's a world class sporting event where much of the pre-race activities are devoted to remembering our fallen ancestors. That's right Billy Bob, remove you hat and put your beer down...for a moment of silence. Seriously,it means something to me, almost as much as when I saw the traveling Viet Nam Wall Memorial. That was an awesome tribute.
Then, there's the actual Indy 500. It's broadcast live on ABC-TV, except in the Indianapolis area where it's blacked out. Some of my neighbors have cable and watched it on the Decatur, Illinois station. Me, I suffered through listening to acquaintance (not friend) Mike King and the radio coverage. And, excuse me, I have a question! If Danica Patrick were not a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, would we give a rats rear end about her or how she was forced out of the race. I hear that earlier in the race she was warned about "blocking."
Did Mike King forget to tell us about that.