Monday, July 14, 2008

Miss Universe


Saw the last hour of the Miss Universe Pageant, last night. I am proud to say that I correctly picked the top five as well as the winner, Miss Venezuela, Dayana Mendoza. It sounds like I'm bragging. I am not. All the girls were uh, slender. Some of them looked kinda funny, in the face. The trick is to pick the skinny chick with the pretty face and nice hair.
There were a couple of things that didn't seem quite right. Jerry Springer was the host. This move was probably to make the trailer park folk feel comfortable watching women who were actually wearing dresses! But Jerry Springer? Was Gilbert Gottfried busy? The ceremony was broadcast live from Nha, Vietnam. This also seemed a bit odd, to me, probably because I'm old and a portion of my memory remains.
I should mention that Miss USA tripped and fell for the second year in a row. The winner answered her question by giving a safe answer calling for peace and saying that violence is not the answer. I suppose the question had something to do with world affairs. I'm sure that leaders of rogue nations will take heed.