Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympic Games +


A co-worker told me about this. He heard about it on ESPN Radio and I couldn't believe it!
UNAIDS, the Beijing organizing committee BOCOG and International Olympics Committee are providing 100,000 condoms for the 10,500 Olympic athletes as part of a campaign on HIV prevention and anti-discrimination at the games. I'm not sure how a condom can prevent discrimination. Is there something lost in the translation, here? The idea is that the young, healthy, trim athletes have plenty of leisure time and apparently a lot of opportunity for games outside of the Olympics.

A little background, this practice of supplying condoms began in Barcelona in '92. In Sydney, in 2000, 70,000 condoms were not enough, 20,000 more had to be brought in. In Utah, officials wanted to distribute 250,000 but religious folks objected. The modern record goes to Athens in 2004 when 130,000 were distributed.

This all seems odd to me. But, remember, I never did too well in the 100 yard dash! And, no, boys and girls, for several reasons, nobody ever had to buy me a condom. If you know me personally, you know that I am not a prude. At the same time, at all times, I have complete control over my zipper.