Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike


As I am writing this, Hurricane Ike is approaching the Texas Gulf Shore. In Indiana, far from the hurricane, we are expecting up to five inches of rain in the next three days!
What has always puzzled me is that the TV stations always seem to assign reporters to report directly from the beaches of the hardest hit areas. All of this is after local officials tell the public to evacuate! In Galveston, they're telling people to evacuate or face certain death! Meanwhile, The Weather Channel's Stephanie Abrams is doing her thing - on the beach in Galveston. I'm asking myself, "Is somebody at TWC mad at her, or what?" The picture on the right is a file photo from a previous storm.
I just had a thought. Could you imagine CBS' 60 Minutes' Andy Rooney doing a live report from Galveston Beach during the storm? Yeah, with Mike Wallace interviewing a guy who's selling flashlight batteries for $50 apiece.