Friday, February 3, 2006

Rizzuto's Garage Sale


If you're over 25 and live in the New York area, Phil Rizzuto is a well known name. There was a time when, I think, he would have been a cinch to be elected to any public office that he might want. What he really wanted was to be elected to baseball's Hall Of Fame. He was, finally, in 1994.
But back to the reason for this post. Rizzuto played for the Yankees, 1941 - 1956. During that time he was NEVER ejected from a game! He broadcast Yankees games, radio & TV for 39 seasons. It's sad but he made much more money in the broadcast booth than he ever did on the field. Phil is selling off much of his memoribilia. I head he's keeping his 1950 American MVP Award and all of the Hall Of Fame material. Good. Rizzuto is the oldest living Hall Of Famer. Here are a couple of his quotes...
"I like radio better than television because if you make a mistake on radio, they don't know. You can make up anything on the radio."
-0-

"I'll never forget September sixth, nineteen-fifty. I got a letter threatening me, Hank Bauer, Yogi Berra and Johnny Mize. It said if I showed up in uniform against the Red Sox I'd be shot. I turned the letter over to the FBI and told my manager Casey Stengel about it. You know what Casey did? He gave me a different uniform and gave mine to Billy Martin. Can you imagine that! Guess Casey thought it'd be better if Billy got shot."
Listening to Rizzuto's broadcast of a game was an experience. First of all, he knew the game. He would point out different plays for kids to be aware of, so that youngsters could learn and appreciate the game. In his later years in the booth, sometimes, he would drift off to different subjects. No matter. He was as big of a fan as we were, maybe more.