Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mickey Spillane


Mickey Spillane died Monday at his home in South Carolina. He was 88. You may have heard of him, you may also have seen him spoofing himself on a series of Miller Lite TV commercials. I was introduced to Spillane in 1972. I was in the Army, being jerked around. This gave me plenty of time. I read all 13 Mike Hammer books. Not exactly classic literature. The attraction was that they were all real. That is to say not phoney. He always admitted that he wrote for the money. My girlfriend used to send me the Mike Hammer books as I was stationed in Frankfurt, West Germany and I didn't have access to them. I also did not have access to her and she was married by the time I returned...but that's a story for another blog. Brooklyn-born Mickey Spillane, one of a kind! We will miss him and what he did best: write in plain English about tuff guys in tuff situations.