Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Blood Drive


I believe in donating blood. No, it's not a pleasant thing, but blood shortages aren't pleasant, either. Giving blood is the right thing to do. It's how I was brought up and it's something that I believe.

So, should we be surprised that yours truly was selected to organize the company blood drive? I work with 50 people. Most of them are decent people with no major criminal convictions. All but a handful are younger than I am. So why did only 6 out of 50 donate blood? About half of us are on some kind of medication. Medication is the topic of an entire different post. The other half are either "afraid of needles" or just don't give a sh*t. Being lazy is a by product of not giving a sh*t. (Maybe I have that backward?) The point is that what we really need are people who have some sense of responsibility and concern and purpose and, well...you know...more givers than takers.

It amuses me to know that, at my age, I am fit enough (or care enough) to give blood while 90% of my co-workers are not.......