Monday, March 2, 2009

Discover Tactics


Yesterday, I'm in the house, alone, and the phone rings. It's a guy who wants to speak with Mrs. General Tom. I say, "She's out." The guy on the phone wants her cell number! I say that she's out shopping and won't be back for hours, "Who is this?" He says he's calling for "Discover." Discover? Yeah, he says that my wife has fallen behind on the Discover Card! We haven't had a Discover card in more than 20 years! I'm a salesman. I realize the importance of the freedom to sell, but, wait a minute. The minute you start lying about my credit history, that's it! Game over!

Wouldn't you think that a big company like Discover would have a more dignified way of merchandising their product? Maybe they're in trouble. Shame.

I tell my wife about this and she says, don't worry, they'll call back in a few hours. I'm thinking that because we have a decent credit rating, they may want us to become a customer, again. Strange tactic.

Oh, we are on the National Do Not Call List.