Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ringo: Keep Those Cards & Letters!


This is probably a non-story, but except for the ups & downs of the economy and the race between McCain and Obama to see who can lie better, there's nothing much going on...except maybe...Ringo Starr. I think most of us will agree that Ringo is cool. Always has been. There's a little bit of shock in that Ringo is asking that we stop sending him cards and letters and stuff for him to autograph. Here's the quote, "I'm warning you with peace and love I have too much to do. So no more fan mail. Thank you, thank you. And no objects to be signed. Nothing." This quote was, of course, taken out of context. You can see the video at www.ringostarr.com.
Personally, I would think that with his amazing success over the past 40+ years, he would have a staff of people to take care of this stuff. On the other hand, we must remember that Ringo is a person, an individual. Just because you may have bought a couple of his songs doesn't mean that he has an obligation to acknolowlege any or all of his fanmail. I think it would be expensive (and cool) to do so, but I'm far from being "Rock & Roll Royalty!"

That's where Ringo and I differ. For a small donation, I'll sign anything.