Monday, December 29, 2008

Airport Food

So, I just returned from a family wedding in Houston. Great time and we're in the Houston airport where every TV had the Houston Texans doing their best against the Chicago Bears when suddenly, for no apparent reason, all of the airport TVs switched to the New England - Buffalo game. The thought of switching away from the local team's broadcast would never fly in Indianapolis. Babys would cry...well you get the idea. So, Mrs. General Tom, son (Lt. Daniel) and I decide to try some airport food. I see that Barry's was selling pizza for $4.50 a slice. Being basically well, cheap...I passed on the pizza. After all, I've had the best pizza and I'm sure that Barry's is at least OK...but $4.50? Naw. So we went next door to Papadeaux.
It looked a bit pretentious, but what the hell. Delicious. Yeah, more than $4.50, but worth every penny. Fast service, quite busy but real good. One of the reasons for dinning out is to enjoy food that you wouldn't normally find at home - that was it at Papadeaux.
It was one of the very few places at the airport that was not understaffed. Note to Southwest curbside baggage in St. Louis: If you make me wait in line for more than 5 minutes, your place is understaffed...especially when I've got to catch a plane.