Sunday, February 1, 2009

DeNiro Pays Up!


Here's a story that has been buried. Being the crusader for justice that I am, I thought I'd share it with you. In 1994, big time actor Robert DeNiro teamed up with hot shot chef Nobu Matsuhisa to open a fancy shmansey restaurant in New York City. It was a success to the point where they have three NYC locations and 16 others around the world. This is why this story is so screwy. In 2007, a couple of waiters filed a class-action suit over unpaid overtime and tips which were supposedly skimmed by management over a 7 year period. The waiters won the suit and the restaurants have to pay $2,400,000! This amounts to roughly $3,300 per server. The amounts would have been higher, but in the real world, lawyers need to be paid.

The picture is Waikiki Tasmanian Ocean Trout with Crispy Spinach & Yuzu Soy. It's probably delicious. I wish they had a place in the hinterlands for people like me. But, without a drive-thru window, I don't think they could hack it around here!