Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Brickyard 400

Brickyard 400 Faithful

I've been to the Indianapolis 500 several times. This year I stumbled upon an opportunity to attend the Brickyard 400. This was my first visit to a NASCAR race and the first for me in Indy. The first thing that hit me is that the Brickyard fans were different than the typical Indy 500 fans. The racing was different, too. The cars were louder and slower than what I was used to seeing at Indy. The track really isn't wide enough for the good ol' boys. From where I was sitting, I didn't see any passing! The NASCAR faithful said that it was a great and wonderful race. OK, I must have missed something. For me, the day was saved as I got to spend it in good company with family and friends. I can remember, as a kid, enjoying the stock car races at Islip on Long Island. Those were fun. The drivers weren't celebrated and the cars were basically crap, but the experience was...well..colorful.
The Brickyard just didn't do it for me. I don't think that I'm alone as there were lots of empty seats.
P.S. Allstate has announced that it will not renew its sponsorship of the race. Perhaps Serta or Sealy would be interested?