Thursday, December 31, 2009

Blue Moon


All of this excitement at once! I can hardly stand it! New Year's Eve - I knew it was coming, as I look at the calendar everyday, but the Blue Moon is another matter! Did you know that the moon is moving away from Earth by 1.6 inches (4 centimeters) a year? It is! I'm certain that the guy who discovered this was being paid by a government grant. Back to the Blue Moon. When you have two full moons within the same calendar month, the second Full Moon is the Blue Moon. This has nothing to do with Rodgers & Hart or the Marcels. (Nobody will get that...) The Moon in the picture looks to be blue. This is likely due to dirt and dust in the earth's atmosphere compounded by the angle at which the picture was taken. Photoshop may also be a factor.
There is always 29.53 days between Full Moons. Usually this time period will span into the next month.

As far as New Year's Eve, I raise my can of Old Milwaukee and wish you the best for 2010! May you enjoy health, happiness and prosperity and may you improve on your choice for on-line reading!