Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sistine Chapel Art Threatened

Sistine Chapel
While my appreciation of art is not exactly "fine tuned," I know what I like to look at. The Sistine Chapel has always intrigued me. This is the location where the College Of Cardinals elects the pope. It is open to the public, as it should be! Between 15,000 and 20,000 people a day, or over 4 million a year, admire its frescoes, floor mosaics and paintings. The Sistine Chapel, features priceless works by Michelangelo, Botticelli and Perugino.

The problem comes from us as we emanate sweat, breath, carbon dioxide, all sorts of dust, moved around by winds and ending up on the walls, meaning on the artwork.

I'm sure that we will think of something to preserve the artwork. After all, if we have the technology to make Justin Bieber sound like he can sing, surely we can think of a way to preserve the magnificent work in the Sistine Chapel!