Thursday, February 21, 2008

Speaking Of $peaking......


In college, Public Speaking was a required freshman speech class. I hated it, but I was a shy kid from New York with nothing much to say.
Things change.
Public speaking is big business. Did you know that you or your group can hire famous people to speak at a function? Sure! I found a web site, International Speakers .com. They have all sorts of speakers available. Normally you have to pay for transportation, food and lodging. The expensive speakers don't have a fee listed. I guess if you have to ask, "How much?" It means that you can't afford them.
Here are a few examples, $30-50,000 gets you one of the following:
Tommy Lasorda, Lynda Carter, Marlo Thomas, Linda Ellerbee, Billie Jean King.
More than 50 G's? How about these:
Anderson Cooper, Dick Enberg, Bob Costas, Mario Andretti, Lee Iacocca.
On a budget? $20-30,000 gets you one of the following:
Melissa Manchester, Robert Klein, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Coach Marv Levy and Lester Holt.
I see that Steve Garvey and Brooks Robinson are each asking $15-20,000 while Jim Bouton will tell stories for $10-15,000.
I'm trying to see how we can justify spending a good portion of what could pay for a college tuition, just to hear a famous person speak for an hour or two.
For the record, I have spoken in front of groups.
My fee?
Dinner.