Tuesday, September 8, 2009

MDA Telethon Rakes In $60 Million

Jerry Lewis and Abbey Umali

For some reason, I am fascinated by the annual MDA Telethon. I've felt this way long before I was in broadcasting and long before I ever met a person afflicted with an MD condition. Why the fascination? Probably it's the triumph of the human spirit. On a local level, I worked with many MDA District Directors. Some were very good at fund raising, others were not. I've met scores of MD patients, many of whom are no longer with us. I met the parents, too. The kids and the parents know and appreciate what the volunteers do. These folks really need help. They also really need to know that we are aware of their plight and that they aren't alone.

I know that Jerry Lewis has many detractors. While I don't believe that he's a candidate for sainthood, I'm sure that I'd get a pretty good argument from people affected by MD. This year $60.5 million was raised nationally. This is down from last year's record $65 million.

The Blog salutes the volunteers, but mostly remembers the patients and families affected by MD.