Friday, June 24, 2011

Peter Falk Dies at 83

Peter Falk as "Columbo"

I did a search on this blog and I see that I have never done an article on Peter Falk. I thought I had, but I guess I hadn't. It's almost like a "Columbo moment" for me.

What can I say about Peter Falk? The man was a magnificent actor. Sure, he could make the facial expressions and he could hit his "mark" and spit out his lines, but this guy was different. Diffrent as in unique. He could act, but he could also create a mood. He's probably best remembered for his work in Columbo. This was a different type of detective drama. On the show, Columbo seemed more confused about the case than we did, at home. He was constantly saying, "AAAAH, just one more question...." This would drive the suspect nuts. On every episode, Columbo would use his quirky perception to figure it all out.

Peter Falk probably never should have been an actor. His voice was all wrong. He had a false eye - and it was very noticeable. He used his negatives to his advantage. To this day, while channel surfing, I would watch anything with Peter Falk in it.

Mr. Falk died Thursday, peacefully, at home, at age 83. He had been suffering from Alzheimer's.