Wednesday, June 15, 2011

U.S. Army Dumps Beret


The U.S. Army celebrated its 236th birthday, yesterday. To go along with the celebration was the announcement that the beret will no longer be used with the fatigue uniform.

This doesn't affect me in the slightest, however, I think it's a step in the right direction. The beret is being replaced by the old fashioned "ball cap." You know, a cap with a "bill" to keep the sun out of your eyes and to shade your face. Brilliant!

For the past 10 years I have been amused by seeing redneck soldiers wearing French hats.  Not all soldiers are rednecks, but they looked the silliest while wearing berets.

Before I am accused of ridiculing our soldiers, I have three things to add:
1. I love our troops. I believe that they deserve our support and our best technology.
2. It's the institution (the Army) that continues to amaze me with its stupidity.
3. I served, (by special invitation) I know what I am talking about.

The beret was a stupid idea for a "work uniform."  It was probably approved by Army people who never wore "work uniforms."