Sunday, May 16, 2010

Miss Michigan Stumbles To Miss USA Title!


At the beginning of the Miss USA Pageant, I picked my top ten. Miss Michigan was one of them. Not that it makes any practical difference, at this point, but it is comforting to note, on a personal level, that I can still pick 'em.

24-year-old Rima Fakih of Dearborn, Michigan took the title after stumbling and nearly falling in her evening gown.

In the interview, Fakih was asked whether she thought birth control should be paid for by health insurance, and she said she believed it should. The runner-up, Miss Oklahoma, also in my top ten, was asked of her opinion on the Arizona immigration law. She was asked this question by an Hispanic judge. She said she supports the law. I sensed an uncomfortable moment - it may have "cost her" a few points, maybe not.

In the end, it is what it is. Pretty girls in seek of attention...and money and a career...in something. Yeah, attention - that's it.