Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Vet & Tet


Where were you on January 31, 1968? Yes, 40 years ago, tomorrow, I was a high school senior in New Rochelle, New York. Also 40 years ago, tomorrow, was the very beginning of the Tet Offensive in Viet Nam. I salute the guys who were there - they went through some very heavy sh*t. These guys were and are true heroes. These are the guys we should "thank" on Veterans' Day and on Memorial Day and every damn day! Regardless of the significance of Tet or the outcome of our presence in Viet Nam, the men who we sent there are what this is all about.

My Army roommate at AFN Frankfurt is a Vietnam Veteran. He's still on the air - at Radio Luxembourg. If you've been paying attention, I've mentioned this in a previous post. Anyway, he's going to be interviewed, with others, tomorrow night on the Jim Bohannon Radio Show. Bohannon was with the 199th Light Infantry Brigade at Long Binh, Vietnam during the Tet Offensive. Meanwhile, my roommate, Benny Brown, was a Combat Engineer/RTO with the 4th Infantry Division in Pleiku.
The show is on Westwood One Radio Network and airs at 10:00 PM Eastern. If you live in a cultural vacuum (as I do) where the Jim Bohannon Show is not available, you can listen on line by clicking here.
I know that I will be listening as I have permission to stay up, tomorrow night.