Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Natalie Munroe Is Not The Problem


At first, I ignored this story. Then, I read it and I felt good and bad at the same time!

You see, Natalie Munroe is a High School English teacher. I don't know if she is a good teacher or not. I do know that she cares about her kids.

Natalie was suspended after school officials at Central Bucks East High School in suburban Philadelphia discovered her blog. She had been writing a blog for several months, probably to vent. (I hear ya) She labeled her students out of control and disengaged, lazy whiners.(...)

Critics are focusing on Natalie's profanity. These critics are looking at the wrong words!

Here's something from a January 2011 post, describing the comments she wished she could enter on her students' evaluations, noting at the outset that she was "being a renegade" and blogging at work.

Among the 39 barbs she listed:

"I hear the trash company is hiring."
"I called out sick a couple of days just to avoid your son."
"Rude, beligerent [sic], argumentative f**k."
"Just as bad as his sibling. Don't you know how to raise kids?"
"Asked too many questions and took too long to ask them. The bell means it's time to leave!"
"Nowhere near as good as her sibling. Are you sure they're related?"
"Shy isn't cute in 11th grade; it's annoying. Must learn to advocate for himself instead of having Mommy do it."
"Too smart for her own good and refuses to play the school 'game' such that she'll never live up to her true potential here."
"Am concerned that your kid is going to come in one day and open fire on the school. (Wish I was kidding.)"

Munroe concluded: "These comments, I think, would serve me well when filling out the cards. Only, I don't think parents want to hear these truths. Thus, the old addage [sic] ... if you don't have anything nice to say ... say 'cooperative in class.' "

Natalie Munroe is not the problem!

The woman should get a promotion!