Saturday, March 5, 2011

Local CBS Station Slides Off "The Dish"


I am a Dish Network subscriber. I watch local and "cable" TV channels on Dish Network. The local CBS station, in my area, has the best ratings of the three TVers, here. They continually remind us of it, but, that's another matter.(...)

Here's the situation. Local station, WTHI-TV is owned by Lin Media. Lin owns 27 TV Stations in 17 U.S. cities. All 27 TV stations are demanding that Dish Network pay an increase in the fee for the right to carry their signals. Locally, the increase is 140%!

Naturally, Dish Network is telling Lin to "go scratch." Lin is presenting their case to the public by making Dish look like the bad guy by selling something that they are not paying "market value for."

Here is some "General Tom Logic." If a company is going to boost my availability to the public, why would I want money for the favor that they are doing for me? That would be like my demanding money from Blogger for me to impart my wisdom to web surfers around the world. Sorry, but, I'm just not that greedy.

How will this affect the local TV station? Don't know and really, don't give a rat's rear end. Lin Media stock fell more than 4% yesterday, the deadline for their Dish transmission agreement.

Psst, Lin: I can watch CBS shows ON THE INTERNET!