Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Jon Miller/Joe Morgan: Gone

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan

I must say that I liked to listen to Jon Miller and Joe Morgan call the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball games. Miller was smooth and Morgan would lend a personal insight into the game...from time to time. Yes, Morgan got on my nerves, but I don't think he overshadowed the game. He certainly didn't overshadow Miller.

Well, it's a moot point. After 21 seasons, the two have not been renewed. You might say that they were fired. In big time broadcasting, not renewing a contract is the polite way of saying, "You're fired!" A spokesman for ESPN says that the network wants some younger voices. That's fine, but when you get a younger voice, don't you also get less experience? Red Barber, Mel Allen and Phil Rizzuto are in Baseball Heaven laughing their tushes off at ESPN.

Who's going to replace them? There is speculation. I won't speculate, I can wait. One thing is true, for the new broadcast team, they will have some very large shoes to fill.